Thursday, July 31, 2008

Make Your Own Flowers - Coffee Filter Edition

I've seen some super cute ideas lately for making your own Prima flowers and felt flowers, so I thought I would share another idea I got from my friend Leslie. This is super cute and super frugal--it's coffee filters!


Tips:
You can use a variety of die cutting tools. If you use a punch, you'll want to use the more sturdy size 4 cone cofee filters. For the Cuttle Bug, Quick Kutz, Side Kick and bigger Sizzix machines, anything goes. I especially like the Big Shot type dies because you can fold a stack of filters into a triangle shape to focus on one portion of the die and going through lots of layers. This makes a ton of flowers in a hurry!


Ink them Up!
Another tip is to ink the edges, dye the whole flower with re-inkers or stamp on the flowers. You can achieve so many looks by adding a little ink!


Mix and Stack Them Up!
Check out the samples below for ideas on mixing coffee filter flowers with paper, cardstock, Bazzill Bitty Blossoms or other flowers.


Finish them Off!My favorite way to give flowers the finishing touch is with a fun brad.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips!

arlene,
West Bremerton florist

Sarah said...

These are soooooo cute! I've got to try this.

Sarah G.

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

What a great idea. Your flowers are beautiful. I'm so glad I found this. Thanks.

Loreen said...

Now that is super creative! Love it =)

BarbL said...

As always, Jewels, you come up with some great things to share!

Heather said...

What a clever idea to use coffee filters.

Rhonda Kelly said...

That is the best thing I have seen in a long time! So cool. And they look so pretty. Who would have though. Thanks for sharing those tips, they are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I just gave away a ton of coffee filters that didnt fit our coffee maker. (Maybe I can get some back) I just discovered your site & I have spent all day looking at it. It is wonderful. It will be on my favorites to check daily.

Stace

Heather said...

love this technique Julie! I am actually using the wrong filters for my coffee pot right now - maybe i should splurge and get the RIGHT ones and use my extra for my scrapping!

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is a fantastic tip. Thanks so much. Grocery shopping is going to be fun this weekend!! rita w

Lisadwb said...

Thanks for the idea. I will have to play with my Big Shot now. :-)

Scrap with the soul said...

Hi, thanks for the tecnique. You are a winner of award in my blog. Congratilations.

Teresa said...

What a great idea- THANKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Since reading this tip I have been looking for a die cut that I liked. I finally found one last night & cant wait for the children to go outside so I can play inside. Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips!

Stace

Anonymous said...

How cleaver! I'm gonna have to scrap lift this idea! :)

Term papers said...

what a great idea! im sure these will fly off your shelves. What a great photo instruction for making Coffee Filter Edition flowers. I was always afraid of making them. I should give it a try now. Thank you!

Shannon said...

so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thats pretty clever. We have used the coffee filters to make large flowers to give to teachers or for decoration in the kids' rooms- no water needed:)
http://fromchapelhilltochickenville.blogspot.com/2009/05/coffee-filter-flowers.html

I never thought about using them for scrapping - love it. I'm pinning this.